Each morning we seemed to run into one another hauling our stash to our respective perfect beach spots. He had a warm smile and a very comfortable conversation style. It was as though I’d known him for a lifetime. His voice was soft and kind. I just knew this was gonna be the real deal.
One evening after dinner, my beach gal-pal and I sat down by the water’s edge enjoying the sunset. From behind us he approached, peeked around my chair and in the perfect, most friendly of ways, looked into my eyes and asked me if I’d like to join him for a walk on the beach. Of course, I wanted to! Of course this was just what I’d been waiting for! And what did I reply? “Oh, thank you, but I ate too much for dinner!” Smooth. Sigh.
Freshly composed, mentally and otherwise, I hit the beach at sunrise hoping to see him setting up as he had been for days. He didn’t come. He was gone. Headed back to LA. (Not Los Angeles, not lower Alabama, but Louisiana.)
I never knew his name.
I believe he is Steve.
Steve is my new imaginary boyfriend.
No comments:
Post a Comment